Women's Health - Acupuncture Can Increase the Chances of Success in your IVF Cycle
Acupuncture and herbal medicine offer women a natural, gentle and effective way to restore balance and health. Women face gynecological issues at any stage of their lives. In most cases, the body will function properly, as it is naturally programmed to do. However, the female hormonal (or endocrine) system can be easily disrupted by a number of factors, such as high stress levels, fatigue caused by overwork, medications, poor diet, and exposure to pollutants and toxins in food and the environment. Women who live and work in busy urban centers where there is an increased prevalence of these factors, tend to have an increased risk of problems.
The female hormonal and reproductive systems are complex and delicate. A normal, healthy, fertile state is actually a collection of many physiological processes working in harmony. It only takes one of these processes to be out of step to cause major declines in health and fertility. We find that women with menstrual problems and infertility often suffer other health problems, such as insomnia, fatigue, weight gain, low libido, or emotional imbalances such as irritability, anxiety or low mood. If you are experiencing these kinds of symptoms, we strongly urge you to seek treatment so you can avoid declines in your health and fertility. This is where we can help you!!
Acupuncture and herbal medicine gently calm the body to regulate and correct hormonal imbalances. Our treatments prompt the body to re-establish normal cycles, reduce stress hormones, encourage rest, and settle your emotions. In our opinion, the body usually knows best, and it should be given a chance to direct its own function. This is why, to complement our acupuncture and herbal medicine treatments, we place a large emphasis on lifestyle factors - what you eat, how much you exercise, and how you minimize and manage stress.
When we consider a woman's health, we care about her whole health. This means that we not only consider your gynecological problem- we want to know if there are imbalances in other areas of your health, Rather than see a woman's gynecological problem in isolation from other bodily systems, we look at her whole health picture and make connections you may not have been aware of - this is the essence of a truly holistic health-care system. There are times when the body doesn't know best (such as inherited and congenital conditions), has forgotten (such as when coming off the pill), or is temporarily being controlled by outside factors (such as medication). In these cases we can help to manage the symptoms and provide the best quality of life possible by reducing side effects of medication, correcting disharmony, increasing energy and reducing stress.
We offer three main areas of treatment:
- Fertility Support Programs - for women who are trying to conceive
- Treatment for the symptoms of menstrual problems
- Treatment for a range of other gynecological and obstetric conditions
Fertility Support Programs
Our popular Fertility Support Programs provide a structured approach to treatment to help women to improve their fertility so that they can increase their chances of falling pregnant.
We offer three types of Fertility Support Programs:
- Preconception Fertility Support Program - Women who are planning to start trying to conceive naturally in the near future - say within the next 3-6 months - and want to optimize their health and fertility select this program. There may be no reason to suspect infertility. A natural conception is the expected outcome for these women.
- Natural Conception fertility Support Program - This program is designed for women who have been trying to conceive naturally but are having difficulty falling pregnant. These women may or may not have been medically diagnosed with a gynecological problem which is affecting their fertility, or may have been recommended to consider IVF and want to try other options first. A natural conception is the desired outcome for these women. There are many reasons why women have difficulty falling pregnant. Some of the more common situations we see are: hormonal imbalances, women who have recently stopped taking the birth control pill or other hormonal contraceptives and their period has not returned, gynecological conditions such as PCOS, endometriosis or fibroids, recurrent pregnancy losses (RPL's) because of a male sterility or sperm issue, age related reduced fertility, immune imbalances, IVF failure, stress, or cases of "unexplained infertility." Crohn's Disease and gastrointestinal diseases can also be a common situation.
- IVF Acupuncture Fertility Support Program - Women who want natural support for their upcoming or current IVF cycle choose this specialized program. The priority for these women is a successful IVF cycle with minimal side effects from IVF drugs and procedures. For more on our IVF support program, check back for updates.
We regularly treat women for the following conditions:
- irregular periods
- painful periods (dysmenorrhea)
- very heavy periods (menorrhagia)
- absence of periods (amenorrhea)
- very light periods (oligomenorrhea or hypomenorrhea)
- pre-menstrual tension
- menopause-related problems
Other gynecological conditions
We also treat uterine prolapse, hormone imbalances, abnormal vaginal discharges, thrush, and a range of obstetric conditions including morning sickness, nausea and breech baby. Women's health is an extremely broad area and there is too much to discuss in a brief introduction such as this. I always prefer to talk to my patients in person, so please don't hesitate to ask if you would like more information.
We are passionate about offering women a natural alternative to better health.
HOW CAN TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE CONTRIBUTE TO A GOOD OUTCOME IN AN IVF CYCLE?
by Dr. Sheila Scott, from Treating Infertility With Chinese Medicine, by Jane Lyttleton
Acupuncture can increase your chances of success of your IVF cycle. Specifically, we like to:
- increase ovarian responsivity and reduce FSH levels if these are high
- increase estrogen levels if these are down
- enhance follicle egg quality
- improve sperm vitality
- relieve the side effects of drugs
- increase endometrium thickness where it is too thin
- increase implantation rates
- basically, to BOOST THE KIDNEY FUNCTION!!
- when the ovaries are functioning well, they are responsive to stimulation by FSH and the estrogen will be high. High estrogen levels prime endometrium development, stimulate more follicles, and contribute to better quality eggs
Our aim is to regulate and harmonize your body in order to maximize the chances of a successful pregnancy. Acupuncture may improve your pregnancy chances by reducing stress and stress hormones, directing blood flow to the ovaries and uterus, and settling the immune system so there is less chance of the body rejecting the fertilized egg. We also aim to minimize IVF-induced side effects such as bloating, nausea and indigestion. Our practitioners are trained in Western reproductive physiology which helps guide our treatments with your medical doctor.
Undergoing IVF can be an emotionally and physically demanding time and you will be welcomed into an understanding and supportive environment with us. You are encouraged to ask questions and share your IVF experiences with your practitioner. We offer a personalized service, where you will be looked after by the same practitioner for each of your treatments using the best-practice techniques in accordance with the latest research into IVF and acupuncture. We work in tune with your particular IVF protocol and the timing of your schedule, such as egg collection and embryo transfer days.
We look forward to helping you on your journey to motherhood.